The average reading age of the UK population is 9 years – that is, they have achieved the reading ability normally expected of a 9-year-old. The Guardian has a reading age of 14 and the Sun has a reading age of 8.
Before starting our guide, let’s check out our latest posts on see a voice Blog:
- Lycamobile Sim Not Working (Today)
- Lebara Mobile UK £3, £5, £10, £15, £20 and £25 Bundle Codes
- Lebara Mobile UK Data Bolt-On’s Plans – 200MB, 500MB & 1GB Bundle
- Lycamobile UK Pakiety Kody Plan
- How do I find My Lycamobile Account Number and PIN
- Lycamobile UK Mobile Balance & Data Balance Check – Beginner Guide
- EE Flex Plans – £10, £15, £25 and £30 Packs
- EE Monthly Data Plans – £10.00, £15.00 Bundles with Full Details
- EE All-Everything Packs – Pay As You Go Bundles – £5 to £30 Plans
- EE All Packs – £1, £5, £10, £15, £20, £25 and £30 Plan with Codes
- Lebara Mobile UK Internet Packages 500MB, 1GB 2GB Monthly Data Plans
- Lebara Mobile UK Balance Check – Step By Step Guide
- Lebara Mobile UK All In One Bundle Codes, £10, £15, £20 Plans with All Details
- Lycamobile Cheap Calls – Bangladesh, Bulgaria, India, Nigeria, Pakistan, Poland & Romania
- Lebara Mobile UK 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G Coverage
- Lycamobile UK Top Up Bundle Codes
- How to Recharge Lycamobile UK (Online, Quick & Prepaid)
- Lycamobile Pac Code: Transfer Your Same Number To other Network
- Lycamobile Coverage 2G, 3G, 4G, 5G
- Lycamobile UK APN Settings for Android & iPhone
Considering the readability of your copy will benefit many people, including blind and partially sighted people.
This is an example of a possible paragraph written for the access page of a brochure:
At every performance where audio description is provided, there is also an opportunity for a touch tour of the stage and set. Touch tours give visually impaired patrons an opportunity to familiarise themselves with the set and costumes before the show to enhance their enjoyment of the production.
This sample has a reading age of 24 and, therefore, it excludes the vast majority of its intended readers.
Here is an alternate version of the copy:
There will be a touch tour before every audio described performance. This gives you the chance get to know the set and costumes. Patrons tell us this means they enjoy the show more.
It now has a reading age of 10. All we’ve done is use shorter sentences and shorter, everyday words.
On the DOWNLOADS page you can print out instructions on how to calculate the reading age of a piece of text using the FOG INDEX or a tool within Microsoft WORD.
One way of improving readability for everyone is to create scannable copy. This makes it easy for people to go quickly to the information they are interested in.
Take a look at the extracts overleaf from The Sun and The Guardian on 25 August 2008. Which one is easiest to scan and why?
What you can do …
• Use bold to take the reader to key words.
• Use meaningful subheadings (explain what’s in it for them).
• Bullet points to summarise content.
• Break up your copy into readable bite-sized chunks.
• One idea per paragraph.